Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lohikäärme

Terve Perheni!! 

Okay first of all, happy birthday Mom and Erik!! Sounds like you got spoiled Mom, you deserve it. 

HUGE NEWS: get a text to Brian Schnell ASAP. Elder Michael Schnell is going to be in my zone in the MTC!!! Super excited. Gonna be too much fun. 

Mom thanks for the package. Had a lot of fun knocking back that bottle of Martinelli's...all by myself. Some of the missionaries did a double take when they saw it. One of them was like, "where's your brown bag?" it was fun. Yes, Dad, you may roll your eyes now. 

Dad, thanks for sending your thoughts and your tribute to Grandpa. I loved reading it. Had a nice chat with Brett about it too. I don't know if I told you, but we actually live in the same residence hall, so I see him all the time. It's great. Love spending time with him. 

Had a great week this week, taught a bunch of fun lessons. We've started teaching each other as progressing investigators, which is fun, except for when we start laughing during lessons. Finns do this thing where they talk while they breathe in, just to keep talking, and it sounds really funny. So I did it during a lesson one time while I was the investigator and Elder Bishop just about lost it. Yeah, maybe not the most productive lesson, but it makes for a good story right? I'm glad our district is close enough that we can joke around with each other. Bishop and I also always go back and forth with movie lines, reminds of dinner at home. Maren and Reese, I need you to research the line "All good things must come to an end, let's end it together" we can't remember what movie it's from, and it's driving us crazy. Find out and send me a dearelder today. Please. [ed. note: Our resident movie line aficionado, Maren, tells us that the line is from "A Knight's Tale" - a Hansen family favorite].

The other night Piispa (Elder Bishop's nickname cuz it's Finnish for 'Bishop') and I were going back and forth about whose clock was set to the right time. Mine was about two minutes ahead of his. He goes well, would you rather have more time or less time? and I reply I'd rather be ON TIME! Yeah it was fun. 

We had an awesome devotional last night from Elder David F. Evans. He talked a lot about the purpose of teaching the role of our Heavenly Father in the Restoration and the Plan of Salvation. It's so interesting to me to realize how often we ignore or forget the role of our Heavenly Father when we talk about the Holy Ghost and the Savior. I'll send you some of my notes in a letter later. 

Finnish is going. It's hard, but I feel like I get better every day. It just takes a lot of work. I ran into Andrew McKinley in the cafeteria and he told me that every time he thinks about complaining about the language he thinks of me and gets back to work. That made me feel better. We've been teaching Sister Thorpe, our branch president's wife, a new Finnish word every time we see her and she's actually developing quite an awesome vocabulary by now. She always says that it'll be our fault when she and President Thorpe get called to Finland on their mission.

No Finnish slip ups this week, or at least none that we're funny enough to report, but I do have a new favorite word. "Lohi" is the Finnish word for salmon, and k(a)(a)rme (that's the a with the dots over it, this computer wont make them for some reason) means snake. But put them together and "lohikaarme" means dragon. Yep don't ask me why but that's what it is. 

Alright, it's time for me to go. I love you all, thank you all for your love and support. Oh, Mom, there's a good reason I haven't mentioned the food. Yeah....  It's okay though, I'm eating as healthy as I can. 

Love you all, have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment